[Cube] Re: Pioneer SuperDrive ...

Gary Lauterback garylauterback at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 27 15:29:42 PST 2004

Richard.

You didn't listen.

The cheapest is not necessarily the best choice.
Apple uses the Pioneer brand (A0a/A0#) series drives as it's SuperDrive (it
also uses Sony).

The problem you may experience is that when you view the System Profiler,
the cheap drive may not be supported by Apple.  You may get a "not
supported" message concerning "burning."  You may not be able to boot with
it if needed either.

What this means is you could place a burned CD in the external drive and it
not mount on the desktop.  You could place an unburned CD in the external
drive an it too will not be recognized by the Finder.

Toast 6 on the other hand may recognize the drive you bought.  Not Toast 6
Lite, but the full retail version of the program.

Let us know what you find out ...

For what it's worth, I use an AO7 Pioneer (Apple's SuperDrive) in an
external FireWire Que enclosure.  Works great.

Gary