[Cube] Popping sounds heard from the cube

phoenix phoenix at cybernothing.org
Thu Dec 30 15:59:44 PST 2004

Quoth Dan Oetting :

> On Dec 13, 2004, at 10:14 AM, Lawrence Lesman wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me if it is normal to hear very low popping sounds -
>> you can hardly hear it - coming from the Cube?  I assume that that
>> is the hard drive.  Also, I have a 20gb hard drive, can it be upgraded?
>
> You are probably referring to the sound made by the disk heads seeking.
> All disks make this noise but it is usually covered up by other noises
> (especially the blowing fans) emanating from the computer.

    heh, I had to wonder for a moment what the first writer was talking
about, until you mentioned that.

    As to upgradability, most any 3.5" IDE hard drive on the consumer market
should suffice -- and it's hard to buy a new one under 80 GB.  So, have fun
-- go get yourself one between 80 and 120 GB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache, and
enjoy how much QUIETER the machine gets.

    My stock 20 GB drive is so loud, I can hear it from the next room.

Cheers,
A.J.