[CUBE] Permissions and OSX

Eagle eagle243 at mac.com
Wed Feb 4 14:28:57 PST 2004

On Feb 4, 2004, at 17:26, Eagle wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2004, at 17:13, Rod Clifford wrote:
>> This is aimed for the unix (read: smart) members of the list:
>> Is there a way in terminal to globally change permissions to folders
>> containing files copied from another machine?
>>
>> We frequently swap files between machines, permissions for the files
>> have been set by machine A (original owner)
>> and cannot be changed by machine B (new owner who copied the files
>> onto his machine) "you do not have permission to modify
>> this file".
>> Changing permissions on the folder for the files is pretty hit and
>> miss. Individual files are usually owned by "nobody" with
>> guests having read only access.
>>
>> help
>>
>> Rod
>
> Rod:
>
> Read the "find" manpage.  You probably want something like this:
>
> 	find /full/path/to/copied/files -user foo -print -exec chown bar {} \;
>
> Eagle

I'm not usually one to respond to my own comments, but, hmm, as I read
your mail a little more closely, I see that another solution might be
in order.  You might want to consider creating a group that has all of
your usernames in it.  Give read/write access for the files to that
group, and when one of you serves them (by AFP or NFS, say), then the
other should be able to read/write them without permissions problems.

Eagle