[CUBE] Permissions and OSX

Gnarlodious gnarlodious at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 15:34:59 PST 2004

Holy Hogwarts! Is that THE Keith Rowland?
You are a celebrity! This is great.

Rod, you don't mention if you are copying files to a userfolder or the boot
folder. Keith suggests the files are in ~homefolder. If so, use Terminal.
The GUI utility in Info for permissions is real spotty and usually fails at
low level folders.

It depends on what OS you are using, but in Terminal, I would say:

chown -R  userName:admin «drop folder»

This sets owner of all files and folders on all levels (-R is Recursive) to
"userName" and group to "admin". This is fast and effective, but will also
apply these permissions to Public folder which might be a special case.

Maybe you can give us more details. If you need to automate the process I
can whip up an Applescript for the task.

To see who owns what type:
ls -lR  «drop folder»

You should see a long list of all files in all folders recursively showing
owner and group. I believe in 10.3 a daemon sets all copied files to current
user but you don't mention what OS you are running.

-- Gnarlie
http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/Cogent.html

Entity Keith Rowland spoke thus: