[CUBE] Memory question, StoryView, Upgrade, upshot

gooddog at interlync.com gooddog at interlync.com
Sun Feb 8 03:57:29 PST 2004

On Feb 7, 2004, at 1:00 PM, Messrs. G & Steel wrote:

> I don't know if anybody has mentioned this but here are my thoughts:
>
> A. Your WORK requires Storyview which is a Windows app.
>
> It seems you have some options:
>
> 1. Get a DELL (or something) and put it on your network cost: $500 -
> $700
>
> Advantages: full warranty, immediately useable Windows machine, keep
> working
> Cube untampered, spare machine for other uses (games, file translation
> from
> deadbeat PC apps)
>
> Risks: ??

Your suggestion makes sense, but after working on a PC all day I'd
rather not own one. Running VPC (which I already have) for this one
program is more attractive.

> 2. Upgrade Cube, cost (est.):  $500 - $700
> Advantages: increase Cube performance, silence, no Windows on network
>
> Risks:
> - dealing with multiple vendors for service if anything goes wrong with
> components
> - no overall warranty
> - significant down time if install goes bad

All the upgrades come with warrantys, and I've got a friend who's an
Apple techy, so I feel confident I can pull this off.  Besides, having
an Apple to use all the time makes it worth the risk since it seems
less risky than getting a PC.

> If this is really work related then option 1 makes more sense, if its a
> hobby then option 2 and if work is the reason for going with option 2
> that
> works too.  Of course I left out scenario 3 which is too horrible for
> me to
> consider which is sell the Cube and get a PC since you still have the
> iBook
> to use and put the PC in a closet as a server.

Have you washed your mouth out with soap yet?  Just the thought of
selling it now causes me to run to the sink and gargle with Liquid
Plumber.

> Its great to have choices, isn't it?

It is. Before realizing I could upgrade this Cube into something we
really need instead of getting something new and much more expensive, I
was completely in the dark about what potential was in our hands.

Thanks.

Mark