[CUBE] Ailing Cube, insights please?

Mike Longo mliii at mac.com
Mon Feb 16 08:26:29 PST 2004

>> My cube sounds as if it has a fan(?) that is
>> about to die. It is making a loud but uneven
>> whirring noise. Like when you take your foot on
>> and off of the gas pedal of a car. It doesn't
>> seem to be affecting performance but the part is
>> definitely about to quit working.

Sounds to me like your HD is about to go. (Unless you have a cube with
a graphics card that actually HAS a fan, the Cube is fanless).
I had this happen and the early warning sign was a noise as you
described it. The Cube HD is relatively easy to replace and there are
instructions and a video clip on Apple's website. Sorry that I don't
have the URL.