[CUBE] Ailing Cube, insights please?

Fred Terry pfterry at netopia.com
Mon Feb 16 08:36:33 PST 2004

On 2/16/04 10:12 AM, "Bob Hasselbrink" <hippie1 at mac.com> wrote:

> On Monday, Feb 16, 2004, at 08:54 America/Denver, Abigail Kelly wrote:
>
>> My cube sounds as if it has a fan(?) that is
>> about to die. It is making a loud but uneven
>> whirring noise. Like when you take your foot on
>> and off of the gas pedal of a car. It doesn't
>> seem to be affecting performance but the part is
>> definitely about to quit working.
>>

> Is there maybe a "forgotten" cd in the drive?

Or it could <shudder> be the hard drive. Do you hear the noise all of the
time or when accessing the hard drive?

It might also be the grounding strap. I remember having a Seagate drive that
would occasionally emit a squeal and the tech I was working with at the time
told me that the grounding strap on the hard drive responsible for
discharging static could produce the noise.

You do have back-ups, right? :->

  pf