[CUBE] anyone have wake on lan working?

Fred Terry pfterry at netopia.com
Wed Feb 18 15:22:38 PST 2004

On 2/18/04 9:38 AM, "J.C. Webber III" <jcw at kingoblio.com> wrote:

> Fred Terry wrote:

>>> The plot thickens. After repeated experiments in which I put the Cube
>>> to sleep by touching the "power spot" and waiting for various times
>>> until I try to wake it up, I find that if I send the magic packet
>>> within 5 seconds of putting the system to sleep it will wake up. After
>>> 5 seconds, it just ignores the packet and sleeps on. I wonder what is
>>> going on here. Is there sleep, and then "deep sleep"?
>>
>> I have it working on my Cube. I'm using a wired and not wireless connection.
>>
>> One question: are you sending the packet across a subnet? I realize most
>> folks don't think they have their houses subnetted, but if you cross an ABS
>> or router, you may be crossing a subnet.
>>
>> Magic packets can't cross subnets. To wake up my Cube from my office, I ssh
>> into my linux server and send a WOL packet from a perl script because I
>> can't send it across the two routers.
>>
>>   pf
>>

> Could you post that perl script to the list?  I too use a linux server
> on my Lan that's always awake that I could use to remotely wake up
> my PB or Cube.  BTW, what does WOL stand for?  Wake on Lan?
>
> thx...

Yep, WOL = wake on lan. The script I am using came from

http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/

but you can turn up a number of solutions by googling.

This page at Mac OS X Hints has more info about SleepNow and Wake on Lan

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2002061709450594

Another data point for the original discussion, I have a Pismo that WOL
doesn't work on. But a co-worker's Pismo functioned correctly. At the time I
did the tests, we were both running Jaguar and were at equal patch levels.

  pf