[CUBE] help buying cube

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Mon Feb 23 22:05:20 PST 2004

Gladys Pérez-Almiroty wrote:
> hi:
> a very dear friend wants to give her husband a cube top of the line. i
> have thought of putting the max ram, a 7200 hd, but do not know about
> the processor and the video card.
> could somebody help me? i was looking at the 1.2 mghz processor
> upgrade, but do not know its pros and cons. what about the video card?
> any recommendations?
> can yo put a superdrive that works with idvd on the cube? i read
> somewhere that you could. am i mistaken?
> i need to do this without his knowledge so the decision will be mine
> and i want to do it asap.
> thanks for your help!
> gladys

I recommend the PowerLogix 1.2Gig upgrade.  I've been very happy with
mine.  There's also a 1.4x available, but the price difference may not
be worth it to you (if I had it to do over I'd go for the 1.4x, but at
this point it's not worth it to me either).

As for the video card, you want to get one with at least 32MB so it can
handle Quartz Extreme.  The ATI Rage128 that comes stock in the Cube is
only a 16MB card.  Not good enough.  The ATI Radeon or the Nvidia
GeForce2 MX are two reasonable choices.  Both have 32MB and fit the
Cube without any modifications.  I've tried both and elected to go
with the Radeon because it beat out the GeForce2 in the Xbench tests,
but not by much.

I've got a couple spare GF2-MXs, so I might be willing to part with
one if you can't find any on Ebay.

I just checked and there is one being bid on now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2789657679&category=4601

Good luck...
--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator