[CUBE] iPod/OT posts...

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Mon Feb 23 23:01:03 PST 2004

Um... I've been off of this list for about a year because I was on the
road working, but returned because this list is the single best source
of Cube info, and Mac info in general, that I've ever found... The Cube
is the most elegant machine Apple has ever created, IMO, and Cube
owners are among the most knowledgeable and passionate Mac folks around
[Also, IMO]... I'm no power user by any stretch: I'm a composer who
uses Macs to create my art and conduct my business... I use the Apple
forums, but often get no response to questions I post there [Probably
because my questions are so dumb]... My recent question about Software
Update is a good example: Even after going through OS X beta, OS X.i,
and OS X.ii, I still have only a tenuous grasp of some of the simplest
stuff [Sorry]... Now, if I may be allowed to toot my own horn for a
sec, I do consider myself to be a virtuoso end-user of some of the
music programs I use... If you ever have a question about GVOX Encore,
feel free to ask! ;^)... OTOH, I often need help with the OS and
hardware issues... For example, I bought an Xserve and set it up as a
client machine so I could have a Digital Audio Workstation with a ton
of HD storage space... You WOULD NOT BELIEVE how much trouble I went
through to make this happen! [Let me see: Had to buy a 17" CRT monitor
so I could install OS X client and the ATI software, went to install
the Radeon and discovered I needed an Xserve proprietary AGP riser
card, had to get a MacSense AeroPad to get the Xserve onto my AirPort
network because I didn't want to waste a PCI slot... And some other
minor pains]... And I STILL have not been able to find out what my
options are for replacing the tray-loading CD-ROM drive with a
tray-loading DVD-ROM drive or Combo drive!... No response in the Apple
forums to this question at all... I don't want to be afraid of asking
questions like that here [Rationalization: My Xserve, Cube, and iBook
are all connected to my AirPort network, and my iPod is connected to my
Cube, so ALL my questions are Cube related ;^D]...

I think it would be common courtesy to clearly label non-Cube specific
posts with an "OT" in the subject line, but if we are all going to get
jumped whenever we have an OT issue, then I think this list's uses will
be greatly diminished [Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way]...
Just my humble $0.02...

Sorry for the ramble... Just finished sorting through last years
receipts for my taxes... Arrrrg! ;^/...

Pep