Cube speakers on other Apple machines

TomD TomD_ALG at RobotGroup.org
Wed Jan 14 00:08:15 PST 2004

The Cube speakers are 20W devices, that means at least 4 Amps of current
is needed on the USB port. The USB ports on most Apple systems are specified
for 500mA (1/2 Amp)

See Apple knowledge base articles
58649
Apple USB Speakers must be plugged into one of the USB ports on your computer or display because the Apple Pro Keyboard
does not provide enough power to make them work.

30705
iMac USB
Universal Serial Bus (USB)

     * Computer: 500 milliamperes (mA) per device based on USB 1.0 Specifications
     * Keyboard: 100 milliamperes (mA) per device based on USB 1.0 Specifications

58674
Apple Cinema 22" display
Connectors and cables
Apple Display Connector carries digital video, USB, and power Two-port self-powered USB hub (support for Power Mac G4
Cube speakers)

58778
Cube Firewire power and Speaker Power specs

Only the Cube, the 17, 15, 22 LCD and 17 CRT are listed as supporting the Cube Speakers.
I would risk burning out a USB port on a powerbook, they're pretty expensive to fix.