[CUBE] Gigabit ethernet?

TomD TomD_ALG at RobotGroup.org
Thu Jan 15 09:08:36 PST 2004

You've got a network problem or a filesystem translation problem.
I just tried moving a directory full of files,
6.38GB in 25 minutes or 4.25MB/Sec.

I have a sub-optimal network. I've got two switches between
the two computers, ideally they'd both be on the same switch.
My biggest speed improvement came when I replaced the ethernet
hub with a full-duplex switch. Now you can get an 8 port switch
for like $25 if you do a little shopping. I'm still considering
Gigabit, but I move gigabyte files all day, the 2-4x improvement
would help, but what would really help is RAID'ing all my file
systems. I find that that's the real bottleneck in my setup.
I rarely get over 20% CPU utilization, even copying from drive
to drive on the same system. The data rate is less than 1/10 of a
single drives' internal rate (that's reading off the platter, not
the 133Mhz IDE interface)