[CUBE] New Hard Drive & Cooling Fan

Christian Leue c.leue at mac.com
Mon Jan 19 00:06:41 PST 2004

> If you plan on many LARGE files (like video), get the 8MB cache - if
> not, get the 2MB (it's cooler, and more faster with smaller, everyday
> files).

Hi Joel!

This is an interesting statement I would like to try to understand,
since I bought the ST3120026A (that's the one with the 8MB cache) after
comparing the data sheet with the ST3120022A, and the only difference I
could see was the size of the cache.

How can three times the cache be slower on smaller, everyday files?

Also, I assume that any minimally additional heat generated by the
larger capacity cache RAM chip (should it be measurable at all, even
under lab conditions) is more than compensated by avoided head travel
through additional cache hits.

Cheers,
Christian