Thermal overloads

Meirion Roscoe roscoe at macunlimited.net
Wed Jan 21 13:24:45 PST 2004

I have a theory!
My cube is a stock 450 with a 120 GB hard drive.  I have thermoindock
and the menumeters thingy and both show a reasonably constant 26 +/- 5
deg C.  I read a lot of discussion on this site about people having
upgraded cpu/graphics card meltdown when others with a similar
configuration do not.

This is my 2p worth

I live in North Wales which is about 0 - 14 Deg C in the winter and 12
- 26 ish in the summer.  If you live in say Arizona and you're cube
blows up when it's 40+ outside then might that not be due the CPU
getting a thermal headstart due to the enviromental issues?  I know we
can all argue the Aircon arguement but that can struggle sometimes to
keep below mid 20's and not everyone has an efficient system.  My cube
is in my cellar with all my Vino and it's always about 8-14 deg here
and that's got to help a potentially hot, upgraded system.

Please feel free to mail back from darkest Alaska with tales of cube
meltdown or from  Central Congo with tales of Dual 1.4Ghz, Radeon 9000,
Barracuda 120's working perfectly, to blow my theory clean out of the
water