[CUBE] Tiger (OS X.4) -- INSTALLED, see comments

John Murray audiqcoupe at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 09:02:23 PDT 2004

All:

Tiger preview from WWDC '04 installs cleanly on a
stock cube with upgraded memory/disk. The install took
about 30-45 minutes.

The product "feels" like a Beta. The global search
feature works but seems a bit buggy. The "dashboard"
feature was nowhere to be found (without really
searching). There are changes to the UI that are minor
that I don't really like, but are probably a matter of
taste. I tried using the iChat video conferencing
features, but it didn't really work -- might require
two 10.4 clients. Mail seemed genuinely better,
virtual folders were nice. I use IMAP and have a lot
of email so it took awhile to sync and I didn't play
with it for more than 10 minutes.

Overall felt slow, HOWEVER, my normal use cube is a
Giga 1.3 upgrade, so I am not able to compare on a
fair basis at this time. I might swap hard drives at
some future date, but it's not a priority... We are
reaching the point where CPU upgrades are mandatory
for day-to-day 10.X situations. Realistically, many of
us are not using cubes because we "can't" upgrade, but
because we like the form factor and aesthetics.

Happy to look into specific questions, but for now, no
problems to report at the install level.

Configuration:

Stock cube, 120GB HD, 1GB Ram, ViewSonic 18" LCD,
Soundsticks.

John

--- Joseph Tang <jtds at netvigator.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!
> http://macinternetaccess.com
> >
> >  T3Hub  |  3 Port USB Hub weighs less than an
> ounce!
> > Dr. Bott|
> <http://www.drbott.com/prod/T3Hub.html>
> >
> >    Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at
> Outpost.com!
> >    Outpost    |
> http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml
> >
> > ADC Extension | Extend the built in cable of your
> flat panel by 10 ft.
> >   Dr. Bott    |
> <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ADCExtension.html>

> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <Cube-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

> $14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web
> Hosting from your Mac ISP
> http://macinternetaccess.com
>
>  T3Hub  |  3 Port USB Hub weighs less than an ounce!

=== message truncated ===