Missing FW Devices.

H.R. Carrasco carrascosapiens at mac.com
Tue Jul 6 15:44:03 PDT 2004

I have a total of five (5) FireWire devices connected to my G4 Cube.  Four
(4) of these devices are connected through a BELKIN FireWire 6-Port Hub, but
for some reason my Cube does not "see" them, i.e. they do not appear on my
desktop.  This is an intermittent problem:  sometimes restarting my Cube
solves the problem, sometimes that doesn't work.  Sometimes
plugging/unplugging the BELKIN Hub¹s master input while the devices are
switched on works, but most times that doesn't work either.  90% of the time
when I switch my devices on they are not "seen" by my Cube, and I am unable
to access them.

If I ditch the BELKIN FW hub and connect two (2) devices directly to the
Cube¹s FW ports, the problem persists.  I have tried using the Disk Utility
app, and I can ³see² my external HC in the Disk Utility menu, and have
³repaired disk², but to no avail: my external HDs and other devices just
won¹t show up on the desktop.

Does anyone have any hints as to the reason my Cube refuses to ³see² my
external FW devices, and any ideas on a fix?  Here are the details of the
system I'm running:

SOFTWARE:
* OS X 10.3.4

HARDWARE:
* CPU Type: PowerPC G4  (2.9)
* CPU Speed: 450 MHz
* L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
* Memory:    1.5 GB
* Bus Speed: 100 MHz

FIREWIRE BUS:
* Speed: 400 Mb/sec Speed

* DEVICE # 1: Connected directly to FiweWire Port #1: iSight Camera
* DEVICE # 2, Connected to FiweWire Port #2 through BELKIN FW 6-Port Hub:
LaCie 1394 DVD-R/RW+CD Drive.
* DEVICE # 3, Connected to FiweWire Port #2 through BELKIN FW 6-Port Hub:
LaCie 200GB HD.
* DEVICE # 4, Connected to FiweWire Port #2 through BELKIN FW 6-Port Hub:
LaCie CD-RW Drive.
* DEVICE # 5, Connected to FiweWire Port #2 through BELKIN FW 6-Port Hub:
DataCom 120GB External HD.

Appreciate any thoughts and assistance.

RICARDO.