[CUBE] Missing FW Devices.

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Wed Jul 7 23:40:21 PDT 2004

>At 10:36 PM -0400 7/7/04, H.R. Carrasco wrote:
>>¿Could it be
>>that something's awry with the MAC OS 10.3.4 update that makes the FW ports
>>go AWOL?
>
>It's been my experience that FW in some Cubes has always been a bit squirelly.
>
>Erik

Hmm... not mine, at least not yet. I am pushing
it too. Hope I don't jinx myself. Here's my Cube
set-up which I use for video work.

I'm also using the Belkin 6-port and without any
problems. The Cube is handling some serious
Firewire devices including a JVC miniDV/SVideo
digital video deck directly into one FW port with
the Belkin FW hub handling  3 daisy-chained
external FW drives (2-120 GB IBM's and a 30 GB)
an external FW Pioneer DVD burner, an Epson 2450
FW scanner, a Ti 667 DVI powerbook occasionally
running in target mode. And to add insult to
injury, I regularly connect other computers in
target disk FW mode on the remaing free FW port
as the need to occasionally plug them into
mothership Cube arises. I do a little computer
consulting on the side. All without a hickup...
providing I remember to dismount before I unplug.
<grin> Usually.

The Cube is pretty much maxed out with a Sonnet
1.2 Ghz upgrade (liked the 3-year warranty and
company reputation) so went for a marginally
slower card. Still pretty quick @128.90  on the
XBench 1.1.3 rating scale. 1.1 Gb RAM, Flashed
7000 Radeon 64 Mb card pushing a couple of NEC
LCD monitors (20"-DVI & 15"-VGA) This video card
BTW, handles DVD playback on the full 20" screen
perfectly and runs 3D games (though I'm not a
gamer without a glitch or stutter) a recent
model, whisper quiet,120 GB Seagate 7200 internal
drive. Throw in an Cube installed Airport card, a
couple of linked USB hubs driving a Zip, Imation
Floppy drive, Epson Photo 960, iMic, Contour
ShuttlePro video editing controller, extra
Kensington trackball. New Matias Tactilepro
keyboard. (which is fabulous RAVE RAVE) Fully
updated 10.3.4. Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD, DVD Studio
Pro 3 etc. About the only thing not running
through the Cube is a small 14" Sony broadcast
monitor directly off the video deck.

I was going to upgrade to a new G5 and fell in
love with the form and elegance of the Cube and
quite simply swallowed the hook. I bought this
Cube, a stock 450 MHz off eBay in mint condition
couple of months ago. All original everything.
Not a mark on it. Weren't cheap but paid market
price for a mint one. Did all my own upgrades and
folded in my existing external hardware. Sorry
for the longish post but got rambling and wanted
the list to know you can push these gorgeous
machines as long as you keep 'em cool. 'Cause
they are COOL.

Cheers,

Rod