[CUBE] Help! Problem installing OS X

Luis Meleiro luis_meleiro at cilsp.com
Fri Jul 9 05:28:08 PDT 2004

Ton,

This same *issue* happened to me once. I bought a 120GB Western Digital HD and misteriously, I was unable to install a fresh Mac OS X in there. Opening Disk Utility from the Panther boot CDs did let me manage formating, partitioning, etc., altough and as far as I remember, the message was "You can not install Mac OS X in this disk" (correct me if I'm wrong).

I tried just about everything. Changed jumper settings, disconnected the DVD drive, no way.
So I attached my external LaCie FW CD-RW to the Cube. Booted the Panther install CD from there, and everything worked flawlessly this way.

Nevertheless I never came to a conclusion on this and really can't tell you what was goin' on.

Just curious... what brand/model is your new 120GB HDD!?

LM

>>> a.vanhest at chello.nl - 2004/07/09 13:12 PM >>>
(I will reply to all in this message).

The drive was set as master and I did try to partition/format using the
diskutility from the install. This gave no problems.

Then I got an idea.

I tried whether or not I could use the Cube in Taget mode. This was no
problem and subsequently I succeeded in transfering from my iMac to the
Cube using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Also I was then able to boot the HD containing the OS.

Then I tried again to use the OS X install disks and this time they
worked flawlessly!

So now all is well, except that I would still like to know what could
have caused this.

Gr,
Ton