Possible? Connect a firewire HD to 2 systems?

TonVanHest a.vanhest at chello.nl
Fri Jul 9 07:32:10 PDT 2004

I was not able to connect my Cube with a regular firewire cable to the
iMac because the cable was too short. So I connected the cube to the
external firewire Maxtor drive that I have, which in turn was connected
to the iMac.

+------+
|  Cube    |
+--+---+

+--+---+
|              |
| Ext. Hd  |
|              |
+--+---+

+--+---+
|             |
|  iMac    |
+------+

Now I am wondering. Would it be possible to keep this connection when
both systems are used seperately? I understand there is going to be big
problems if both systems would access the same files at the same time
but this is controllable by me because I do not expect that Apple will
do file/record locking.

The important thing is that both systems must write changed data right
away. I.o.w. not keep anything in a memorybuffer.

Anyone experience with a setup like this?