[CUBE] Networking help please?

david sarcastix david at sarcastix.com
Sat Jun 5 17:38:58 PDT 2004

atoa at krak.net6/5/04 7:05 PMatoa at krak.net

> There's nothing magic about it. You are doing something wrong. The
> wireless part of the LAN isn't essentially any different than the wired
> part, network-wise.

Dear atoa,

I don't think that I described it as a magical process, and I never stated
that I was right and Apple is wrong, or that it's not possible..

Merely that I haven't been able to figure it out.

And I do have a bit of experience, with 10 networked Macintoshes in my
house. And I've been networking for over a decade. And as a matter of fact I
don't have one friend with similar set-ups (wired and wireless) who has had
luck making it work properly under all conditions.

I can ping from the Powerbook on Airport to the CUBE, but not back.

> The wireless part of the LAN isn't essentially any different than the wired
> part, network-wise.

The Airport Admin utility gives me THREE choices for a set-up that shares
one  single IP address for the client computers (using DHCP and NAT).

-OR-

I can share a RANGE of IP addresses (using DHCP) utilizing a beginning and
ending address. And there are a LOT of other choices on the various menu
pages. My point is that there are a lot more choices with Airport than just
manual or DHCP.

I may tackle it again soon, I know a bit more now than I did when I first
installed Airport in my house.

So.. How do you do it with your wired and wireless system?  Did it all fall
together with the default settings right out of the box?  How many different
wired computers versus wireless? Are they all using the same flavor of
operating systems?

I'm curious.

David.