[CUBE] Networking help please?

Jason Greshes jgreshes at mac.com
Sun Jun 6 06:57:08 PDT 2004

> Cube is OS10.2.8
> Pbook is OS10.3.4 with latest updates on both.
>
> TIA

The first thing you have to do is get rid of 10.2.8 on the Cube.
Jaguar is hopelessly bunged for networking.

The setup, all wireless, I have at home, all networked, is:

A Sony PC

A Cube

A lime iMac, using a wireless network bridge

An indigo iBook

A dual USB G3 iBook

(I also have 2 SE/30's and 5300c--when plugged into a switch with the
iMac and the wireless bridge they network effortlessly with each other
and the other machines when the other machines are running OS 9, but
only do one-way connections under OS X.)

Back when I was using 10.2.8 networking the machines was a royal pain
in the ass--I could mount filesystems, but they would also turn buggy
in less than half an hour.  Put Panther on the Cube--there is no
downside that I've seen, my Cube loves running Panther.  Back when it
was a Jag Cube networking froze the GUI all the time, and I was
rebooting daily.  Since switching to Panther and the latest Panther
update it has been running constantly--current uptime is 10 days.

Jason