[CUBE] Somewhat OT: Airport questions

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 22 11:22:58 PDT 2004

     Chris Weiss wrote:

>There are a number of USB 802.11g adapters out there - the question
>is, will they work with the Cube's USB 1.1 ports.
>USB 1.1 is only rated for 1.5Mb/sec, which is far slower than 802.11g,
>but as fast as 90% of the consumer internet connections out there.

[snip]

     With respect, speak for yourself, Kemosabe: our home broadband
provider is Comcat, who deliver 3 Mbps downloads quite reliably, in
our neighborhood at least.

     In addition, if one is trying to share a "server"-type resource,
such as a backup disk or tape system, via a wireless network, the
_local_ bandwidth is critical. 55 Mbps would be a lot nicer than the
nominal 11 Mbps (but much more like 3 - 4 Mbps) we can get through
our older AirPort at home. For full (as opposed to incremental)
backups, I generally move the machines to a place close enough to our
10/100 switch to connect them by Cat-5. If the machines were new
enough to take AirPort Extreme cards, I could leave them where they
are.

     Of course, YMMV.

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                          - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA