[CUBE] Newly installed GeForce 3

Fred Terry pfterry at netopia.com
Sat Mar 13 07:10:10 PST 2004

On 3/13/04 12:56 AM, "Snow White" <jj4 at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> The GF3 is a great card for a Cube except
>
> watch your heat - closely.  I found Menu Meter and Thermal in Dock on
> VersionTracker very useful.
>
> In the Cube the wee fan on the GF3 does not have enough room to move
> the air efficiently, so high intensity graphics (like WarCraft or other
> games) will drive the temp up over a small period of time (48-52° C in
> 30 minutes from a cold start).  I put a PL Case arround mine and this
> lowered the temp by 5-10° C - still no fan with stock 450 CPU.  Now I
> barely break 42° C in an hour.  All these temps are from software
> reports - not a gauge on my heatsink.

After popping in a Gigadesigns processor upgrade in addition to the 120G
hard drive and Radeon 7500 upgrades, the fan didn't give me any comfort. The
temperature software wouldn't work for me with the new processor and I was
constantly worried about the heat in the Cube.  To calm my fears, I bought
an IR Thermometer at Radio Shack. The model I bought (22-325) was only $49
and not as fancy as the more expensive models, but it allows me to monitor
the heat of the card and the central core with the case on.

  pf