[CUBE] Mac addiction

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Mar 13 11:00:23 PST 2004

     George Pepper wrote:

>Yup... I DEFINITELY have a Mac addiction problem [I have four in a two
>bedroom townhouse, all connected to an AirPort network, AND I'M SINGLE!
>:^o ], but I'm also a tight-wad...
>
>Waiting for the G5 PB's to come out so that used/refurb 17" PB's will
>show up with lower prices! ;^)

     Well, I didn't count, also in _our_ two-bedroom townhouse, my
wife's Al PB G4, my older son's iBook 500, my younger son's 800 MHz
iMac G4, and the Snow AirPort basestation. :-) Nor the 20 - 30 Macs
at work that I was responsible for bringing in. Who, me, an addict?

     There was another poster who marvelled at Macs at NASA. Several
years ago, there was a "when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the
mouse" action at Johnson (Houston) to save Macs from a CIO who was
later asked to leave because his wife worked for Microsoft. There
have been Macs around at several NASA Centers for a long time, and
they appear to be making a comeback because, well, OS X is a unix
system with a good GUI for all the non-unix-ey apps --- and it's hard
to find a supported *ix with a better price/(performance + support)
ratio. But I'm preaching to the choir, right?

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA