Thoughts on Video Upgrade

Gary Lauterback gary at santamariamug.com
Wed Mar 17 09:06:42 PST 2004

Hi!

I have to say that upgrading your RAM, Hard Drive (7200+ RPM) are two of the
best things you can do to improve "stock" performance.  There is no doubt
that transplanting a faster CPU will really kick things up a notch or three.

But VIDEO Upgrades are also well worth considering.  Performance vs price is
always something to be aware of.

Yet, how can you not upgrade the video card to ANYTHING beyond the Rage128
(Pro?).  No QE, and 16 MEG VRAM by today's standard is pretty low.  Even
newer G3 & G4 iBooks have 32 MEG VRAM . . .

It has been suggested that QE is no big deal as it transfers the work load
from the G4 CPU to an Video Card's onboard processor.  Sounds good to me.

While I won't say an upgraded video card will turn a Cube into a G5, it will
help!

Gary