[CUBE] Thoughts on Video Upgrade

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Wed Mar 17 14:38:36 PST 2004

Perhaps someone will say this is Apples and Oranges [But it's really
Apples and Apples ;^)]...

Before I put the GF3 in the Cube, the most noticeable differences in
performance between it and my Xserve [1GHz SP G4/ATI Radeon 8500 Pro]
were in the graphics area... No crossfades on the desktop pictures
rotations, minor shadowing differences, etc, etc, etc on the Cube... If
you have a completely stock Cube with an ATi Rage 128 in it, after you
bump up the RAM, the next thing you should do is replace that video
card... It really is out of date...

Now, I am noticing more how much quicker the Xserve's faster processor
and frontside buss makes booting/processing etc... This is as it should
be...

Pep