[CUBE] Thoughts on Video Upgrade

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Wed Mar 17 16:38:39 PST 2004

The cheapest way is to buy one of the PC cards that is flashable with a Mac
ROM (flash it yourself if you have access to a PC or buy one pre-flashed on
eBay, although that will cost you almost as much as an OEM Mac card).

Laurie
--
Founder, Editor, FAQ-checker
http://cubeowner.com

On 3/17/04 5:43 PM, "Chip Everts" <chipeverts at mac.com> wrote:

> Ok. Sorry if I missed this somewhere in this thread, but what's the
> absolute CHEAPEST way to get QE. I have the stock Rage128Pro
>
> Chip
> On Mar 17, 2004, at 5:38 PM, George Pepper wrote:
>
>> Perhaps someone will say this is Apples and Oranges [But it's really
>> Apples and Apples ;^)]...
>>
>> Before I put the GF3 in the Cube, the most noticeable differences in
>> performance between it and my Xserve [1GHz SP G4/ATI Radeon 8500 Pro]
>> were in the graphics area... No crossfades on the desktop pictures
>> rotations, minor shadowing differences, etc, etc, etc on the Cube...
>> If you have a completely stock Cube with an ATi Rage 128 in it, after
>> you bump up the RAM, the next thing you should do is replace that
>> video card... It really is out of date...
>>
>> Now, I am noticing more how much quicker the Xserve's faster processor
>> and frontside buss makes booting/processing etc... This is as it
>> should be...
>>
>> Pep
>>
>> On Wednesday, March 17, 2004, at 11:06  AM, Gary Lauterback wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have to say that upgrading your RAM, Hard Drive (7200+ RPM) are two
>>> of the
>>> best things you can do to improve "stock" performance.  There is no
>>> doubt
>>> that transplanting a faster CPU will really kick things up a notch or
>>> three.
>>>
>>> But VIDEO Upgrades are also well worth considering.  Performance vs
>>> price is
>>> always something to be aware of.
>>>
>>> Yet, how can you not upgrade the video card to ANYTHING beyond the
>>> Rage128
>>> (Pro?).  No QE, and 16 MEG VRAM by today's standard is pretty low.
>>> Even
>>> newer G3 & G4 iBooks have 32 MEG VRAM . . .
>>>
>>> It has been suggested that QE is no big deal as it transfers the work
>>> load
>>> from the G4 CPU to an Video Card's onboard processor.  Sounds good to