[CUBE] How do I set up Local Network password?

Davz davz at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 20 00:29:54 PST 2004

jj,

I do a lot of networking with Macs so I know most of the ins and outs
of setting a system up, so hopefully I can help.

When you 'connect to server' (command K) do you get a pane with another
machine listed and have the option of password or guest connection?  If
so this is a good start.

Click password connect you should then get a prompt for password and
username.    Make sure that the connecting machine has a name and that
the machine you are connecting to has a name and that both machines
have a password set up ( probably easier if they have the same
password)

In the username pane, type in the name of the machine YOU ARE
ON.................... NOT the machine you are connecting to (This is
where I think you may be going wrong.) type in the password for the
machine you are connecting to and you should connect.

What you are doing is identifying who you are by typing your own
machines name and then authenticating with the password, and as i said
I would use the same password for both machines especially if this is a
home set up, if it is at work you may need to use separate passwords.

Davz