OT: X migration strategy (Jaguar v Panther)

Erik Ness erikness at tds.net
Fri Mar 26 07:35:09 PST 2004

Greetings,

I'm definitely going to X sometime in the next month. I'd like to
impose on you all for a critique of the following strategy:

I thought this was going to happen last year, so I do own Jaguar.
Soon my wife will purchase a new laptop, at which point in time
Panther becomes available. I know Panther is my endpoint, but I am
anxious to switch ASAP because my most important software is
FileMaker, and the new version is a hands-down, kick-@$$ winner. Is
the transition from Jaguar to Panther transparent enough -- and the
interface similar enough -- that I won't be pulling my hair out over
minor differences in a month?

Some potentially meaningful addenda:

1. Window management and app switching matter to me, and what I see
of Expose I really like, though I think I can muddle through between
the dock and DragThing in the interim.

2. I run a lot of shortcuts, and am currently re-doing all my
OneClick/AppleScript tricks using iKey, DragThing and AppleScript.
Jaguar is performing nicely.

3. Though it hurts the pocketbook a bit, I'm not afraid to pay for
the right tool (for example FileMaker and Mailsmith) if it does the
job well.

So, am I crazy to be short-term Jaguar user, or should I just do it
all when Panther arrives?

Cheers, and many thanks for any input.

Erik