[CUBE] sherlock

Helen Lowe helenjlowe at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 15:09:27 PDT 2004

Thank you everyone who responded on this.

I think the point about Sherlock 2 was that you indexed all your documents,
and could leave the index running overnight. So when you did a
find-by-content the engine just searched the index. I tested this by leaving
the index running in Classic last night (it took about 5 hours) and just did
a search for a known bit of text, and Sherlock  came up with 57 files in a
few seconds.

I tried the same thing with OS X just now, and it seems to me that it was
searching through all the files, which is presumably why it is interminably
slow.

The trouble is, if you need to search, you generally need the answer
straight away! Back to Classic on that one, then...

I have downloaded EasyFind and it doesn't seem to report on my Word
documents although it did whizz round much faster than OS X findfile.

And, I seem to have missed something in my Apple education - what does "grep
the terminal" mean?