[CUBE] Modem woes continued

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Sun May 16 07:32:48 PDT 2004

> Does anyone know of a freeware utility to test/reset the Cube's
> internal modem? I tried the hardware test CD (for the testing part)
> but it doesn't get past the memory test.

Good old zterm:
http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/

Open it up, set the appropriate port, and enter "ATZ" + Enter, you
should get "OK" as an response. However, when your modem gets fried by
a line surge, it usually still responds to the commands - the problem
is that it cannot connect because it is not the logic part that gets
damaged, but the circuitry that interfaces with the analog phone line,
and there is no more connection there. Modem basically acts as if the
phone cable is unplugged.