Brother MFC3220C plays well with the Cube (long)

Jonathan Bauer jonathan.bauer at verizon.net
Mon May 17 17:20:47 PDT 2004

Hello All:

Per my previous posts, I had to quickly get my faxing back after my
internal modem was zapped during a thunderstorm. I previously used the
excellent Pagesender w/modem.

I decided to buy an external fax machine and after some research ended
up with a Brother MFC3220C, which is an "all in one"
fax/print/scan/copy. It's $130 with a $30 rebate from either Brother,
or directly from Staples if you purchase from them. The rebate runs
until the end of July.

This unit works so well with my Cube (OSX 10.3.3) I thought a brief
user review might be helpful to others on this list.

Brother has up to date software, easy to find on their website (just
navigate to the product page and there's a direct link). They have
software for OS 8.6 - 9.2, but I didn't test this, only OSX.

Functions that work directly from the Mac are: fax sending (not
reception), scanning (it is sheet fed), and printing (B&W or color),
and... there is software to make changes to all of the MFC3320C's
internal settings directly from your Mac (very nice). So far as I can
tell, there is complete Windows/Mac parity in terms of features.

Faxing: from the Mac works fine and if you have the machine set to
produce a transmission page, it will do so whether you are faxing
manually from the MFC3220C or from your Mac. The software
implementation is a little awkward (compare to Pagesender, for
example), address book integration is incomplete (or I haven't figured
it out yet). But it works.

Scanning: scanning is fast and clean. There is a TWAIN driver. I tried
it out scanning into Acrobat. The interface is not nearly as refined as
the current version of Epson TWAIN (I mainly scan to an Epson
Perfection), but it works well.

Printing & copying: basic but good quality inkjet printing in color and
B&W. This unit uses a standard CYMK set of four cartridges. The black
in cartridge is higher capacity. It won't beat out a good photo printer
by any means (in color) or a postscript laser printer, but it is
adquate as a convenience printer for text, printing web pages, or
making a handy copy of a few pages. Of course, the computer does not
have to be on (or awake) for convenience copying.

Bundled software: comes with something called Presto! Pagemanager. It
is a scanning with Optical Character Recognition package. I haven't
tried it yet. I will over the next couple of days, and if there is any
interest I will report back to the list.

Stand alone fax: Excellent. Many features, some of which I have no
experience with (polling, anyone?). Supports up to 14.4k transmission
speed. Adquate for me.

Build quality: also excellent. Basic plastic, but nicely done.

Installation: Straight forward. If you buy this unit, I recommend
reading through the installation manual and then following along
carefully. There are numerous options in the user manuals. Install the
software from the CD, but then update it immediately with the files
from the website.

I recommend this unit to anyone looking for an inexpensive
fax/scanner/printer with good features and good Mac support. At $100
net it is a great deal, in my opinion.

Hope this was useful to someone out there.

Jonathan Bauer