[CUBE] multi-user machine OS X backup solutions?

Todd Masco cube-list-local at babayaga.org
Wed May 19 14:46:50 PDT 2004

mrp at cre.CAnon.co.UK (Martin Portman) asked:
 > what are the possible solutions?  and what are the pros and cons of
each?

I think that people would do well to look for solutions from the Unix
world as well as from the Mac world.  As long as you're not afraid of
the terminal and reading a bit of documentation before starting, there
are some really powerful solutions out there.  People have been doing
this stuff on Unix machines for decades.

I think you should investigate "rsync," which is ideal for
synchronizing machines on the same network.  You can use ssh for
transport if security is an issue.  There's even a Mac OS X / HFS+
adapted version, at http://www.macosxlabs.org/RsyncX/RsyncX.html

Here's an article on getting started:

	http://www.bombich.com/mactips/rsync.html

Hope this helps,