AAC vs MP3 vs CD - a comparo (was TiVo)

Eagle eagle243 at mac.com
Wed May 19 15:02:54 PDT 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 17:51, Todd Masco wrote:
> Eagle wrote:
>> Benjamin, I agree, but in TiVo's defense I believe their "Home Media
>> Option" (HMO) came out before AAC.
>
> Alas, they've been promising AAC as being worked on but with no
> definite schedule for release" for about 18 months.

Ah, hadn't heard that.  Cool.  And not cool.

> It's very frustrating, having to keep music around in multiple
> formats.  I'd prefer to be MP3-free.

Yeah, I am MP3-free and it's great.  Well, I might have ONE MP3 lying
around here... ;)

I did a comparo over the weekend comparing 128kbps MP3 to 128kbps AAC
to 192k MP3 to CD.  Actually it was just 128kbps MP3 vs 128kbps AAC vs
CD, and 192kbps AAC vs CD.  I don't believe I posted my report but I
will do so if there is interest in my findings.

Eagle