My multi-user backup solution

Eagle eagle243 at mac.com
Mon May 31 15:24:08 PDT 2004

Greetings, all.

As you may remember, a few weeks ago I started looking for a good
multi-user backup solution for OS X, but didn't find one.  I wanted
something that:
- could be automated,
- supported resource forks,
- supported both full and incremental backups,
- supported multiple backup sets, and
- supports the multi-user aspect of OS X (i.e. something that preserves
file ownership and permissions).

So, I decided to write my own solution that encompasses all of the
features listed above.  My solution requires hfspax for the actual
archiving, but what it provides is a completely automated solution
(well, if you configure it properly and also add it to crontab) that
can be left to run unattended.  Only slightly more scripting would be
required to actually burn the resultant .pax archives to a CD or DVD; I
will likely add that in the near future as it is a feature that I want
to have.

There is one other feature I had wanted, but it is not in my script.
That is support for excludes.  (e.g. "do not include my iPhoto and
iTunes libraries")  Perhaps I will add this later.

If you wish, try out my script.  It can be downloaded at:
	http://homepage.mac.com/eagle243/FileSharing50.html
Documentation is in the script itself.

As it uses hfspax for the archiving, restoring is done through the
hfspax command line.  Also, I wouldn't yet recommend using it for
mission-critical backups, because further testing will be required, but
so far it looks really good.

Enjoy.  Comments and other feedback will be welcomed.

Eagle