[Cube] Cube Emergency: Please Help

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Mon Oct 11 22:28:56 PDT 2004

My hard drive is about to die.  I've heard that "whine" before, and it was just a few boots before the HD imploded upon itself [Different computer; not even mine].  This is the original HD the Cube came with, so I can't say I'm surprised. Anyway, I've managed to transfer everything out of the Cube to the Xserve EXCEPT MY MONUMENTALLY VAST iTUNES LIBRARY!  I logged on to the Cube from the Xserve via the AirPort and found the library, but it gets to a certain point and aborts because it says it can't locate certain data or something [I think that's because the directory starts out with an alias].  Anyway, that taught me that the AirPort is too freaking slow, if nothing else, so I'm going to try putting my TiBook in Target Mode and use FireWire [It'll still take for... ever... because the library is so humongous].  Problem is, the directory starts out with a freaking ALIAS!  So what EXACTLY do I transfer over?  This is probably really simple and I just can't think because I'm freaking out at the HUNDREDS OF CD DOWNLOAD HOURS I put into this library, and I'd hate to have to do it all over again.

Or, is there some way to take the library out of the iPod?

AAAARRRRRRRGGG!!!

Pep

P.S.  Any classical guitar fans in the group?  I just got a new run of 1,000 CD's of my 2000 solo album.  Ping me off list with a snail mail addy if you'd like a comp.