[Cube] problem

Joseph B. Gurman jgurman at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 04:26:36 PDT 2004

     Gladys Pérez-Almiroty <almiroty at prtc.net> wrote:

>ok, what does ssh mean?i only have an old imac available, but no lan.
>sorry, i wish i knew more, but  i am learning everyday.
>i am contacting the technician so check on the cuda switch. i would
>have thought he did it, but i wasn't there. wi;ll let you know asap.

     ssh refers to the unix Secure Shell Login; in
OS X, it means using the Terminal to start a
remote terminal session on another machine on an
IP network. You can connect two machines with
Ethernet ports with a crossover patch cable (I
believe the Cube will even support a
straight-through cable, though I don't know about
the iMac). Trouble is, you'd have to know the
numerical IP address of the Cube to do so, both
to change the iMac's IP address so it was part of
the same LAN (e.g., both
192.168.something.something_else, where
<something_else> is unique to each machine), and
to be able to use the shell (Terminal) command
from the iMac,

	ssh <you_username>@<the_Cube's_IP_address>

     A simpler liveness test could be just
connecting the Cube to an Ethernet hub or switch;
they all have LED's that indicate whether anyone
is home (i.e., there's a live Ethernet chip,
connected by a good cable) at each port.

     HTH,

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."

- Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001