[Cube] old vs new 23" ACD's

Ishan Bhattacharya ishan at sbinet.com
Sun Sep 19 11:59:58 PDT 2004

I use the new 23 inch ACD x2 attached to two separate cubes. Apple has
dropped the ADC connector, but ADC to DVI adapters are available from Apple
and Belkin, among others; one might have come with my original Cubes, but I
know they are included with the new G5 2.5s.

I never used the old 23 inch ACD because I didn't like all that plastic and
it's limited adjustability, as well as the fact that it physically  (seems
anyway) to take up more space. The new ones are absolutely beautiful
displays. However, there have been many complaints of the new 23 inch ACDs
having less than even backlighting, particularly on the sides as well as a
pink tint (which most people can easily fix with calibrating the monitor).
You may want to look at Apple's discussion boards or those on MacNN or
appleinsider for more details, but if at all possible, check out your
display before you buy it.

In fact, Amazon will no longer replace new 23 inch ACDs; they will only
refund your money. That's not a good sign. I suspect that only a very small
minority of users are affected by the new 23 inch ACD problems, but they are
a vocal minority and when you're spending this kind of money of a display,
they should be. HP makes equally gorgeous 23 inch displays and they have
connectors for TV inputs which are lacking in the Apple product, so you may
want to look at HP as well. Samsung also makes a very nice 23 inch LCD.

Probably more then you wanted to know...

Ishan Bhattacharya, MD