[Cube] Soundfonts: Too cool!

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Tue Aug 16 14:49:56 PDT 2005

I found out you can replace the Roland General MIDI sounds that are the default sounds in Quicktime, and which ARE Soundfonts, with any bank of custom Soundfonts you want.  So, for example, there are banks of E-MU soundfonts, one of which is the standard Virtuoso 2000 orchestral set that I use in my Virtuoso 2000 MIDI sound module all the time.  Now, that bank can be the default synthesizer whenever I use my music printing/sequencing program, and it would be native inside my Macs!!!

Only problem is, the description I found of how to do it must be with an older version of OS X than the 10.4 I now have.  It says to put your downloaded bank of Soundfonts in Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks.  I found that, but the description of how to work Quicktime preferences is all wrong.  It says there is a "Music Tab" in QT prefs, and there isn't (At least not anymore).  Advanced has the default synth selections so I'm guessing if I put the new Soundfont set in, it will appear in the dropdown list.

I'll buy the Soundfont set and let you know if it works out.  Anybody ever tried this?