[Cube] firmware problem

Marco Demaria marco.demaria_at at libero.it
Sun Feb 6 23:30:12 PST 2005

Thank you Luis Meleiro, George Paterson, Bruce Carr for yours answers.
Luis:
like Bruce, I bought my cube second hand and I didn't get a Hardware
Diagnostic CD. So I join with all people who ask for this software..
but I found following Apple document
(http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50139) "Apple Hardware
Test for Power Mac G4 Cube version 1.1 is distributed only with the G4
Cube, January, 2001".

George:
my problem isn't that "the programmers button and the reset switch are
not functioning" because reset is ok and programmer button look like ok
indeed when I press it at startup, the power lamp flashing correctly
how is write in firmware upgrade instruction.. but no firmware update
progress bar appear on monitor.. so.. I tried held down
command-option-p-r at startup for 2,3,4,5 cycles (zapping p-ram, I
thing) but nothing is happened (not even the clock gone to zero). Only
pressing down the "cuda" button I can reset clock. When I hold down
command-option-o-f I can enter in open firmware prompt but then I don't
know what to do!
On my cube I can run osX 10.3 panther without problems, but curiously I
can't change startup disk from System Preferences (only at startup
holding down option button, I can choose startup disk), and the boot
noise "gong" don't depend on volume regulation.
Conclusion, my cube have a brain very hard :)

Any advice?
Thanks from a newbe cubist.

p.s.

I found 2 kind of firmware upgrade: 1° T-G4 Cube FWUpdate 4.1.9 and 2°
G4 Cube FWUpdate 4.1.9. I think only difference is language: 1°Italian,
2°English.

p.s.s.

Is possible to do hardware upgrade if firmware isn't upgraded? Somebody
know if upgrading the cube with devices of Giga Designs, Sonnet or
others resolve this kind of troubles?

Marco.