[Cube] Mac mini take apart clues

M. Jeffrey Coco mjcoco at icubed.com
Wed Jan 12 13:33:45 PST 2005

Think about what it has to do - right now, people don't multitask at
their TV's. You watch cable(live or Tivo), or a dvd, or play a video
game console. So you're basically running one app at a time. El Gato
already has a nice dvr with their EyeTv, and they're about to beta a
media streaming app to work with their devices. So let's say I have a
Mac Mini with bluetooth and and Extreme card, hooked up to say, a
Panasonic 42" plasma monitor.... :) Assuming that I run from a cable
box, I can dvr anything with the EyeTv, ala Tivo. I'm then even able to
stream from the Mini via Airport to my Powerbook, or just watch on the
monitor. But hey, I'm on the couch with my bluetooth keyboard and mouse
and I'd rather listen to music, so I bring up iTunes and have a nice
huge display to browse with. Or maybe I've got the grandparents over
and want to see iPhotos or iMovies........

Start to see the progression? The only thing that's a bit klunky at
this point is the input device. A couch potato needs a better
controller than a keyboard or mouse.