[Cube] Re: New Cube's HD

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Fri Jan 14 07:18:51 PST 2005

Kinda OT, but you got me travelling down memory lane here, Gary.

Back in the mid 80's, I was working with New England Digital's Synclavier Digital Music System.  At first it was all 8" floppy drives, then the 5.5" floppies (Yup, we booted from a floppy drive ;^D).  When the first 8" Winchester HD drives appeared, we wondered HOW ON EARTH we'd ever use 5 MEGABYTES of disk space.  Then came direct to HD recording at 16 bit/100KHz and we had our answer.  Later versions were 5.5" and 15MB (WOW!!!).  Our first monitors were VT-100's (Anyone remember those? ;^)), but then a Mac with 512K (!!!) of RAM appeared, and we went to those.  Point is, the tiny HD in the new Mac has a relatively slow RPM rate, but great data density and a not bad seek time.  Perhaps the new size will become standard, as history has shown nothing but shrinking size combined with increased capabilities.

I still have my old Synclavier, BTW.  Fun to boot up a system from a floppy every now and again.  Just because I can.  ;^)

Pep