[Cube] Silence is Deafening

Michael J. Cykana mjcykana at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 12:43:45 PST 2005

Got mine yesterday at Fry's. They had no display model out so I asked
if they had any. The person I talked to said they had three left. They
were not going to display any.  They only had the 1.42GHz/256MB/80GB
model. After I bought mine yesterday afternoon they had a single one
left. Someone in the interim had also purchased one.

No chance to upgrade it yet so it is stock. XBench 1.1.3 out of the box
was 123+. This compares to my slightly upgraded 450MHz/1128MB/120GB
Cube that benchmarks at slightly over 49.

It is normally silent - less noise than my cube (disk)! When the Mac
mini is heavily loaded (running XBench) the fan kicks on and makes some
noise but the noise is very tolerable. Once the work load goes down it
returns to silence.

"How you spend your money is how you vote on what exists in the world."
- Vicki Robin, co-author Your Money Or Your Life