[Cube] Re: hard drive swap done, now how do I eject a CD?

Andrew in Ann Arbor aklist04 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 20:11:02 PDT 2005

Hello again.
Thanks to a hint from David Flory
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58686 >
I was able to swap out the hard drive in my cube.
I actually wasn't that hard just different than any other computer.
So the new hard drive is in and I figure to boot from the OS 9.1 CD and
install 9.1 on the smaller partition.
But when I put the CD in and start up while holding down the command
(splat) key and the "C" key I get the "folder with question mark" and I
can't start the machine.
To make things worse I don't know how to get the CD to eject. Command
"E" doesn't do it and neither does unplugging and restarting.
I looked for a hole to put a paper clip into but of course that's way
too crude for my elegant puzzle cube.
I tried pressing the two buttons underneath (near the ethernet port) but
although they made the machine whir they didn't eject the CD or cause
the cube to boot.

Some history:
When I got the cube it would boot to OS 9.0 from the 20 Gb drive and
would also boot from my OS 9.04 CD.
I wanted to update it to OS 9.2.2 (this was before I was introduced to
OS X) and in the process of updating the hard drive stopped booting.
Now that I've got another hard drive installed the CD drive isn't
working (or at least won't boot).

Questions:
How can I eject the CD?
Which way do I insert the CD? I assumed label side towards operator but
I've been wrong before. putting the CD in backwards would explain why it
won't boot or eject.
Do I hold down "command" and "C" to boot from the CD?
Why do I have two little buttons underneath? I assume one is reset but
don't know which one.
Is there much difference in the Mail and Safari applications between
Panther (3.9) and Tiger (4.1)?
My experience with OS X is limited to 3.9 on the Lombard so I'd just as
soon put Panther on the cube and minimize the learning curve (panther's
also cheaper).
If Tiger offers big improvements in Mail and Safari then I may have to
get Tiger on the Cube and then put it on the Lombard...

I'll go poke around the Apple site and see if I can't find an owner's
manual...

Thanks for all your suggestions.
--
Andrew in Ann Arbor