[Cube] The Mini is so... small

Stefan no-spam at punkt-x.de
Tue Jul 19 01:29:11 PDT 2005

Hi friends,

as George told us, we can love our cube longer than our girlfriends.

Although (or because?) I'm married, I have to agree :-)

In fact I just have both machines quite near to my desk. My cube with
a 1.5 GHz Powerlogix upgrade is relatively loud with the necessary
fan, the mini is not to hear. Only when running a DVD or "snapping"
to the HD, there is a remarkable sound. The mini is hidden behind a
20' Apple Display, a good combination.

My opinion: For everydays work the mini is an ideal machine: small,
noiseless, very, very low power consumption and really fast enough
(even with 80 GB-original Apple HD, what dould be improved). Of
course there are a lot of possible wishes and many ideas, what else
to improve. And I hope the mini-II or III or IV will bring some
improvements like 1000 mbit Ethernet, more RAM, better graphics (with
dual port?) and so on.

But for now it's a real good "pole position" and a good answer to the
PC-Minis - isn't it?

And my cube?
I still enjoy it. But would/should I have upgraded it, if I had known
about the mini?
Probably not, and in fact that's my answer to the comparison of the two.

Today an upgraded cube and the mini can be compared (and the cube is
in front - a little bit), but the next mini generation will succeed,
- surely.

Stefan