[Cube] Graphics card - toast??

Bruce Carr brucarr at rogers.com
Sun Jun 5 19:52:47 PDT 2005

Can anyone confirm with me about the symptoms of a toasted or toasting
Graphics Card? I'm running a Rage 128 Pro in a 500 mgz cube with a gig of
ram. OS 10.3.9. The display performance is adequate for my needs.
Lately my old trusty 20" Apple ColorSync monitor has been periodically doing
a sizzle sound and quickly compressing it's image to a narrow vertical band
about 4" in the centre and instantly popping back to normal.
Looks cool, but this is not good.
After a few weeks of this random little light show it appears to have done
this permanently. At first suspecting that it was a dead monitor, I hooked
up my old backup Apple 17" monitor and it appears to work fine. When I
re-hooked up the 20" ColorSync it did the sizzle again - To double check - I
managed to blindly find my way to System Preferences and find Display - I
scrolled down to a random resolution- not being able to see much I clicked
on - 832 x 624 and the image came in at that size. Monitor works beautiful
but the wrong size.
If I change the resolution to anything larger like 1024 x 768 then it does
the sizzle and narrow band thing again.
Oddly enough it has now just popped back to the original resolution of 1152
x 870 while typing this. It again appears to work just fine.
Anyone out there got any ideas??

Sincerely
Bruce

Bruce Carr  €  Marketing Design & Production
416-463-3292   €   brucarr at rogers.com