[Cube] Is my Cube dead?

Rick Branscomb ebranscomb at mac.com
Thu Jun 9 07:41:31 PDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Scott Strungis wrote:

> Have you tried another HD in the machine?

Yeah, that's about when it started (probably a coincidence)--I
upgraded to a 60GB drive, and started getting the errors. I sent the
HD back thinking it was defective, got a new one, and had the same
problems. I re-installed the original 20GB drive, and it's better in
the sense that it takes longer to self-destruct, but it still does.

> You could also try a clean
> install to an external device, like a firewire drive, or an iPod.

Works great running from an external Firewire, but that doesn't
necessarily mean it's the HD (see above)--could be the Firewire is
using different circuitry up to a point, and bypassing whatever's bad
in the Cube (HD ribbon for example?)

> Try
> downloading an Ubuntu Live CD.  If this machine works nicely from the
> CDROM boot, then that rules out a lot of things and also tends to
> point to
> the HD.

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu--sounds like I ought to be.

---------
Rick Branscomb
Webmaster
Southern NH Apple Core