[Cube] OT: Acrobat 5.0 WILL_NOT_DIE!

Luis Meleiro Luis_Meleiro at cilsp.com
Mon Mar 21 01:42:45 PST 2005

>>> pep27 at mac.com - 20/03/2005 19:05 PM >>>
> OK.¿¿This is another one of the countless computer "things" I don't understand.¿¿I downloaded Adobe Reader 6 to my Xserve, transferred it to my Cube via the AirPort network, moved Acrobat 5.0 to the trash, and put reader 6 in it's place in the Apps folder.¿¿Why do all my .pdf's STILL open with Acrobat 5.0?¿¿More to the point HOW CAN THEY OPEN WITH AN APP THAT'S IN THE TRASH?!

They are almost not opening with the app you've left in the trash folder. The file is supposedly being opened by another resident 'Acrobat Reader' appication. Perhaps the one that you have in system 9 (if you have one).

> I did a search of the HD to see if there was any other copy of Acrobat and found all the stuff in OS 9, which I deleted (But wouldn't it try to start Classic Mode if that was the copy it was trying to use? <head scratch>).¿¿The only way I can open a .pdf with Reader 6 is to use Open With in the File menu.

The Classic Mode will not start up, because AFAIR 'Acrobat Reader' v5.0 is already a carbonized application (loads in 9 and X).

> Oh yeah.¿¿When Acrobat 5 opens up it says it's not the default and asks me if I'd rather use Acrobat 5 instead of Acrobat 5.¿¿I got to admit, that made me giggle.

Maybe you previously had PDF files to open up with 'Acrobat Reader' 5.0 as your default application (under OSX). Now your files are detecting another 'Acrobat Reader' 5.0 (under 9) and are telling you they can be open by that application instead.

> I just want Acrobat 5 to be a memory.¿¿A long distant memory of a bygone era.¿¿A closed chapter in my computing life.¿¿Something I remember with fondness but don't miss.

> How do I do that?

Trash both 'Acrobat Reader' v5.0 folders. Next time you open a PDF file you'll be asked if you want all your PDF files to be opened up by 'Acrobat Reader' v6.0. If you don't, just command+I your PDF file and tell your system to open up these files with 'Acrobat Reader' v6.0.

> TIA

> Pep

Hope this was helpful,

LM