[Cube] Re: British English

Helen Lowe helenjlowe at hotmail.com
Tue May 17 04:15:24 PDT 2005

Hello listers

thanks to those who responded to my ViaVoice questions.  I had quite a
helpful correspondence with the support person at ScanSoft, who have the
licence to market this product now.

ViaVoice 10.3 seems to work ok with OSX once you get over the extremely
non-intuitive installation procedure.

Re: British English, this is in the system preferences, and I finally found
it hidden well down the list.
I don't know why you can't install ViaVoice with its own preferences, but
there you go. You also have to make sure the microphone provided is selected
in the Sound preferences.

After that it seemed to take the "training" texts quite well, although the
British English texts were different from the American English ones, and
there were fewer of them.

I'm finding straight dictation works quite well. In fact, I'm quite
impressed. e.g. if I say "Samuel Pepys", it comes out exactly right. A bit
annoying if I want "Samuel peeps" though!

But nothing in the software is intuitive, you really have to learn how to do
things. Very time-intensive, eg to learn basic formatting commands. Nothing
pops up on the screen. Another nuisance I find is that if you leave the
microphone running it can pick up odd sounds and start construing them as
commands - eg closing documents, etc. But I haven't yet worked out how to
instruct it to do the same commands.

If you've got the time then it could be a good resource, especially for
those of us with RSI from years of typing.

In the end, could save a lot of time, but in the meantime I can only meet
deadlines by traditional keyboard input.