[Cube] Graphics card without needing a fan

Riba riba at ml1.net
Tue May 31 15:23:16 PDT 2005

On May 31, 2005, at 20:23, Andreas wrote:

> My 450 MHz cube has the original ATI card. I'm wondering what card
> (s) I need to look for and where, to upgrade. I don't want a card
> with a fan, or having to install extra a fan. I like it "fanless".
> I guess I'm looking for something second hand?

nvidia geforce 2MX (although you probably won't find the version that
went into the cube - that one had a large heatsink). However, the
"regular" one should do just fine because a lot of people have been
running it for years with no problem. There are a few overheating
reports but generally you should be fine. Don't know how hard they
are to find nowadays but check on ebay. Also note that some are
selling flashed PC cards (those don't have ADC connectors).
The other option is ATI Radeon 7500. You might get it from someone
who upgraded the graphic card in the desktop mac. Radeon 7500 also
doesn't have a fan, and runs faster and cooler than 2MX. I'm running
one with zero problems, the downside is that the connector side of
the card does not perfectly fit in the opening on the bottom of the
cube so you will have to remove the metal plate from the card. The
plus side of this is that improves cooling, however the card is a bit
'loose' because it is held in place only by the AGP connector and the
single screw inside. I don't see this as a problem because it is not
like the Cube is moving around a lot.